Back in the game

The former number one in the world of tennis, Andy Murray, is about to make his comeback next month. The UK’s best tennis player is going to take part in the ATP’s Challenger tournament, taking place in Glasgow from April 28 to May 6.

Murray, who just endured hip surgery, hasn’t played tennis since last year’s Wimbledon. The 30-year-old posted photos on Instagram as he prepares for his return in Nice. “Chasing down another@aidymchugh error today during practice#progress #hip #unforced #youngpup,” was the caption of his photo.

And people are thrilled about it. University student Bryan Faye, 20, said: “I am so glad he’ll be playing again. Can’t wait to watch his matches.”

Last time Murray played was a match with Sam Querrey, when he not only lost his world No 1 ranking, but also failed to beat Kyle Edmund to gain the status of Britain’s long-held No 1 spot.

Student Samuel Martin, 18, said: “I hope the time he took helped him rest, so he will gain his No 1 position once again.”

Murray has two tournaments in his schedule: Libema Open, prior to this year’s Wimbledon; and Citi Open in Washington, to build-up for US Open, the first Grand Slam tournament he won back in 2012.

“He is great player and I believe he’s coming back stronger and better,” said Charlie Cole, 25, who works in Wetherspoons on Holloway Road.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*